Visiting Ontario





Helpful Hints When Visiting Ontario


The Government of Canada recommends that Canadian citizens travel with a valid Canadian passport because it is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel.

When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you.

When entering the United States by land or water, Canadian citizens are required to present one of the following valid documents: a passport, a NEXUS card, a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card or an enhanced driver's licence/enhanced identification card or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (when this certificate is available and approved by the United States). U.S. citizens entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document (Passport, U.S. Passport Card, Enhanced driver's license, NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST cards.)

Ontario's official standard of measurement is the metric system. All road signs, speed limits, distances, weather reports and the like are in metric. However, some consumer packaging lists measurements in both metric and Imperial.

Ontario's weather is much like the Northern United States. June, July and August are our true summer months when daytime temperatures range from 25-30C (77-86F), though nights may be cool, particularly in the north. In autumn, foliage takes on fall colours towards the end of September and reaches its height in October. Medium to heavy-weight clothing is necessary, especially in November when the weather is cold and frosty. Snowfall is usually experienced through December, January and February. The snow begins to recede in March before totally disappearing in April. This is followed by warm temperatures and spring flowers in May.  For the most up-to-date weather information on Fort Frances, please visit

Visitors are strongly urged to obtain health insurance before leaving their country. (Your health insurance may not extend coverage outside your country of residence.) If you are taking medication prescribed by your doctor, bring an adequate supply and a copy of the prescription in case it needs to be renewed by a doctor in Ontario. For more information, contact your travel agent or insurance agent.

Stores stay open until 6:00 p.m. in most parts of Ontario, however, the majority of stores in Fort Frances close by 5:30 pm. Many city and suburban stores stay open until 9:00 p.m. Sunday shopping is available in many centres, including Fort Frances.

Tips or service charges are not usually added to the bill in Canada. In general, a tip of 15% of the pre-tax total is given.

Licenses are required for fishing or hunting in Ontario and may be purchased from numerous outlets, including sports stores, hunting and fishing lodges and the Ministry of Natural Resources.

The legal age for the purchase and consumption of alcohol is 19 in Ontario.

Car rentals are available at many airports in Ontario. Cars can also be rented in urban centres and major bus/train stations throughout the province. The minimum age to rent a car varies from 21 to 25. All companies require a credit card for rentals. A valid driver's licence from any country is good in Canada for three months.  In Fort Frances Contact:

Enterprise Rent-a-Car

Highway 11 & Oakwood Road
Phone: 807-274-5800

North Air Services
600 Scott Street
Phone: 807-274-7182
Toll-Free: 1-800-465-7761

You may enter Canada aboard your pleasurecraft or hitched to a trailer. Customs officers stationed along highway border crossings and at harbours will issue you a permit, which is then returned upon departure as proof that the boat has left the country. Many destinations offer Remote Area Border Crossings, which require you to register by telephone.

As a rule, prohibited or restricted weapons are not permitted to enter Canada. However, you may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario as a visitor for hunting or competition purposes if you are 18 years of age or older. For complete details, click on the link above or contact Canadian Firearms Centre at (506) 624-5380.


New Year's Day – January 1
Family Day – 3rd Monday in February
Good Friday – late March or April
Victoria Day – first Monday on/before May 24
Canada Day – July 1
Civic Holiday – first Monday in August
Labour Day – first Monday in September
Thanksgiving – second Monday in October
Christmas Day – December 25
Boxing Day – December 26